Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Why I Love Film - #5

There seems to be a pattern with this series in that every other one is n(ot) s(afe) f(or) w(ork). So in keeping with that coincidental pattern, this one is pretty family friendly. Enjoy with the kids.

It would make sense to assume that a film's advertising has a lot to do with the anticipation of said film. That's just logic. So, it would make sense to also assume that there are certain advertising ventures that have stayed with filmgoer's over the years. Some are tacky, sure - like United 93's senselessly tacky For Your Consideration ad -

sure.

Great film, but not exactly something I, or anyone I know, would consider relevant past 2006. One of two September 11th movies that came out that year (the other being Oliver Stone's surprisingly calm World Trade Center) but this film got all the attention. It's more focused than Stone's, but both are about specific events from that terrible day. Not just that day. Yes, a film can matter. But, a film that matters doesn't presume its importance and just unfolds over time. This came, missed a Best Picture nomination, and went. 

More after the cut --

Another ad campaign that I fell in love with from day one is The Social Network's last year - specifically, their first trailer for the film:



I know, I know. It wasn't the most popular trailer when it first came out. Some other bloggers I know didn't care for it and thought that it was a hokey way to start off the film's run. But, I'm pretty much in love with it. It has everything it needs - all the performances, some of the lyrical dialog from Aaron Sorkin, a lot of what makes David Fincher's direction so admirable... and that song. The choral Creep cover. So perfect. So chilling. I'm about to watch it fifty times in a row now.


But, before I do!

I want this hanging in my room. 

There is something so... frightening about this poster. Really, the entire series of posters for this film kind of shake me a little bit. This one, however? Legitimately scares me. The shadowy figure, the obnoxiously obvious suit and fedora, the strong features of the man's face though hidden in his shadows, that tag line saying that this man controls us... it's claustrophobic, it's conspiratorial, it's clever as hell. The broad fonts and picture placement make it stand out from the other posters released this year for other films; they wind up usually being photoshopped movie stills with type over them. But, this one? A complete work of art. 
                
It's been stated before about these posters, but I remember reading Sasha Stone's take on them when she said "your future has been rather aggressively photoshopped". They are very clean posters, not incredibly edgy, and yes - The Social Network's font is all over them. But, in defense, the eerie steeliness and the fact that everything in the posters seems... unadjustable, not to put to fine a point on it, makes me certain that this is going to be an unsettling film. 

And it knows that its going to gain some sort of cult status. Otherwise, we'd just have pictures of them running. Over. And over. And over. Again.