Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

In Theaters This Weekend

Does this mean Ralph Fiennes can stop whispering in everything now?


The time has come, the Rowling said - seven books took ten years and eight movies to get to filmgoers like us. And has the ride been worth it? Well, about half the time. The series has survived different directors, casting problems, and most other ailments that production companies dread. But, they've been released nonetheless, and always to gigantic box office numbers. I feel bad that cute little Winnie the Pooh has to go up against the giant that Harry Potter is destined to be. It's almost unfair. Also, this is the only chance I'll have to write about a Harry Potter movie being released. Until they're all remade in about thirty years. 

But, there has to be some sort of respect paid to the series, non? Chris Columbus, Alfonso Cuaron, Mike Newell, and David Yates have given their visions and we give our thanks. Except to Mike Newell. He crapped on one of the best books ever written. But never mind. This is about the Deathly Hallows. 


So let's get down to it. 


More after the cut--



Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II. PG-13.

The only thing I can think of to say is... holy s**t. I remember back in 2005 sitting in a dark theater after Star Wars Episode III had ended, and sobbing with my sister because it was all over. There was no more, and there wasn't going to be any more. I had just witnessed the end of that era, and a large part of my life had come to a breathtaking halt. I'm fairly certain I'll be the same blubbering idiot when this film ends, too. Another large part of my life, stopped. Finished. With no more coming. So long, Harry Potter, and thanks for all the memories!

*here's hoping this one will be more accurate to the book! 




Winnie the Pooh. G.

If you can watch that without smiling, you have all the proof you need that you aren't human. So, you and your Android self can get out of the way while the rest of us revel in the nostalgia and pure adorableness of that trailer. This new "old-school" take on Winnie the Pooh is setting itself up to be the animated "awwwww" fest of the year. I think it's literally about two minutes too short to be considered for the Animated Feature Oscar during the awards season, but it'll be all over the map in my awards, no doubt. I'm looking forward to this as much as I am Harry Potter. Not sure which one I'll be reviewing first, but both are on the table and high on my to do/see list. Keep your eyes out for both reviews. I'm sure they'll be glowing.



Go see a movie, folks. Sit back and take in the grandeur of JK Rowling's magical world, or go back to the Hundred Acre woods and visit some old friends you probably haven't thought about in a long time. Either way, this is the weekend to remember what it feels like to be a kid again. Enjoy yourselves.