Search This Blog

Friday, June 17, 2011

In Theaters This Weekend

With great power comes great steroids. Er, physique. Er, responsibility.


Coming to theaters this weekend, two major releases. One which will probably fade into obscurity, and the other which will probably shoot to the top at the speed of light. Mr. Popper's Penguins and The Green Lantern, respectively. I'll be honest, I'm not expecting much out of either film. From The Green Lantern, I'm expecting a lot of one-liners, a lot of loud action, and a showcase for Ryan Reynold's abs. Of course, all that can be fun, but it doesn't make for a great movie. It makes for a forgettable two hours in a dark theater. From Mr. Popper's Penguins, I'm expecting a lot of Jim Carrey doing his rubber-faced routine, a lot of thinly veiled crude humor, and penguins doing things that penguins probably can't do. The wonders of CG-animation never cease. And they hardly cause wonder anymore. But, never mind. 


More after the cut--

It's important to note that The Green Lantern was filmed in 3D. It shouldn't be a secret to my readers at this point that I hardly ever appreciate 3D entertainment, but there's a caveat - if something is filmed in 3D, that means it was meant for that forum. Something like The Last Airbender was filmed in the traditional 2D format and then transferred to 3D film. That makes the picture and action and colors and lights and all of that fun stuff we go to action movies for faded. Avatar didn't have that problem, in either format. Neither did Thor. The Green Hornet did. Hopefully The Green Lantern's color-scheme won't be tampered with. It'd be nice to see actual green rather than dark forest green. The Forest Green Lantern doesn't sound nearly as cool. 


The Green Lantern. PG-13. 

I'm feeling like Hal Jordan might wind up suffering a fate similar to Dead Pool (the last comic book character Reynolds inhabited). The outcome is pretty cool, but disappointing considering how much the filmmaker had to work with. And while the whole mythology behind The Green Lantern might even be stretching the ideals of comic book-ism, it has a sound fan base. That has to be worth something, right? Like I said - I'm not expecting much. Hopefully the 3D will work, and my favorite actor (Peter Sarsgaard) is in it. So, I'll be looking forward to that. Look for a full review of the film sometime in the near future. This is nowhere near the top of my "to see" list.


Mr. Popper's Penguins. PG. 

I think my favorite thing about this trailer is that it gives no actual indication as to what the film is about. We know that Jim Carrey winds up with a lot of penguins in his apartment. But, that isn't a story. Movie trailers apparently go one of two ways - they either give too much of the story, or they give no story at all. This, this is the latter case. We have the punchline, but no actual joke. There's Jim Carrey, there are penguins, and somehow it effects his life. Okay. Now... we go see The Green Lantern, I guess? At least we can kind of infer what's going on in that trailer. Either way, I'll be seeing this. Because I'll be getting paid to. But, I have a feeling I'll be asking for a raise.


There you go, folks. The two movies out this weekend, everywhere. What will you be seeing?

the green lantern? i thought so.