Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

The Adjustment Bureau, Unknown, and Others on DVD This Week

Mad Men returns 2012. Without Anthony Mackie.

On DVD this week, five films that require a little bit of an introduction. Only because they've seem to slip from the forefront of interest. The Adjustment Bureau, still one of the year's best films, almost seven months in; Cedar Rapids, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules, Unknown,  and The Eagle. Remember those?

No? Okay, well, don't feel bad. I do, and I'm here to help. Hell, I've reviewed two of them. And they're my recommendations for the week. Let's get down to brass tacks, shall we?


More after the cut--


The Adjustment Bureau - What can you say about a film that has Matt Damon running from seemingly bad guys in even badder fedoras? Or has him opening doors and winding up on the opposite end of town? Or has Emily Blunt's legs being shown off for no other purpose than to show off her legs? You could call it a cult classic in the making. I did, and I still stand by that. Obviously, it won't be selling out midnight shows while The Room is still in town, but the film has a sort of appreciation for its camp value (which is pretty thickly veiled) that great cult films require. And even above that, the performances are excellent, and the direction is slick. It's a wonderful film, incredibly fun and very sharply put together. classic in the making. I did, and I still stand by that. Obviously, it won't be selling out midnight shows while The Room is still in town, but the film has a sort of appreciation for its camp value (which is pretty thickly veiled) that great cult films require. And even above that, the performances are excellent, and the direction is slick. It's a wonderful film, incredibly fun and very sharply put together.

For my full review, click here.




Cedar Rapids - Ed Helms is the consummate leading man, I think. He's an every man, he's likable, funny, and someone you might want to buy a beer for. Cheer him up. Maybe not hug him, but never mind. He's the reason Cedar Rapids is as successful a comedy as it is. If it weren't for his amiable nature, if we couldn't like his character, there would be no film. Of course, the supporting cast isn't too shabby either, especially the excellent Anne Heche. If there's a performance in the film that needs to be noted, it's hers. Of course, then there's John C. Reilly's vulgar but loving best friend. And then there's the screenplay that's fill with hilariously awkward moments and lots of great displays of friendship... I highly recommend it. It's a comedy you'll be lucky to find.

For my review, click here





Unknown - Liam Neeson has a hard time traveling. He should probably just spend a weekend at home. But, of course, he needs to convince the airport that he's actually him, and not that one guy who said he was him earlier. If you haven't gotten it yet - Liam Neeson stars as a man whose identity is stolen and has to convince everyone that he's himself again. The easiest way to do that is with a handgun, it seems. No, it doesn't sound as exciting as Taken, but from what I understand, it's just as visceral. I haven't seen it yet, so I can't really give a recommendation or not, but... well, it's a Liam Neeson action film. After Taken, I'll blindly give him my money. Even if only for fear that he'll mug me and take it regardless.

If you're looking for a couple of hours away from it all, and want to see Neeson kick some serious butt again, pick this one up.



The Eagle - Channing Tatum, whom you might remember from an Abercrombie catalog, and Jamie Bell, whom you might remember from Billy Elliot, star as two soldiers searching for a priceless relic in the days of swords, sandals, sand, and... priceless relics. Rome, obviously. And a Rome where everyone has curiously American accents. The film is from director Kevin McDonald, who made the wonderful The Last King of Scotland. This one didn't do nearly as well. In fact, people seemed to ignore it as soon as it came into theaters, after a month or two of serious hype. Maybe if more things had exploded, and maybe if Sam Worthington were in it. Anyway. Again, I haven't seen this one yet, just never had the opportunity, but it's on my list. And it should be on yours, too. Don't go in expecting a thrilling action film. Expect something more slowly paced. And Expect to see Channing without a shirt, probably.



Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules - No he doesn't. Do you even remember Roderick from the first film? Hell, do you even remember the first film? No, you're thinking of the famous book series. The first film, while mildly enjoyable, never really warranted a sequel. I'm having a hard time recalling which story was left open, and had enough room for another feature film. But, apparently it was Rodrick's, and according to everyone else, it's awful. Again, not one of the ones I've seen. So, I can't truly recommend it one way or another. But, I can tell you I'm not looking forward to it whenever I have to see it. I'll probably get caught up writing my notes than watching the movie itself.

I already forgot which movie we were talking about.




Go get a movie, filmgoers. I'm picking up The Adjustment Bureau and will give Cedar Rapids another watch. And of course, I'll keep my schedule open for Liam Neeson in anything. You? What will you get?