Search This Blog

Saturday, November 27, 2010

My favorite FYC ads so far

This has been a fabulous year for the annual For Your Consideration sweep over Hollywood, provided by the internet and, of course, Daily Variety. Some of my favorites so far?


FYC - Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio - Shutter Island

My personal favorite, so far. 

I'm not talking about the performance itself or anything, rather the art that is the FYC ad. To me, it's as crucial a form as the Criterion artwork, though for different reasons. I love the multi-page format and the shot of Martin Scorsese in the lower right. That, and the lovely Michelle Williams (who deserves her own FYC for the film) is featured. 

FYC - Best Picture: Toy Story 3

A-damn-men.

"Not since..." is probably my favorite marketing tool in a long time. And it makes complete sense. Not since Shakespeare in Love has a comedy won, not since The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King has a billion dollar movie won... The catch is, this film actually deserves these comparisons. But, keeping personal feelings at bay, I love the style of the poster. One of the funnier moments in the movie, a semi-mockery of the epicness its tag evokes, and... it's the monkeys. It's all about the monkeys. 


FYC - Best Animated Feature: Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

I know, right?

I have nothing to say about the ad. I don't even really like it. I just think it's awesome that they're pushing the film. Go, Zack Snyder. Go.


Share some of your favorites! I'll post some more as I find ones that stand out to me.